Monsoon Wedding on a lazy day

Today was a lazy day. It was cloudy and cold, and it rained the previous night. I finished my weekly meeting with my collaborator kees weijer in the morning where I presented some interesting results on the project we are working on (Will tell y'all once its out xD ). My advisor said that he was down with the flu and won't be coming into the dept. This added to my desire to be lazy the whole day. I sort of felt that I needed a break and I took it!

The next step was to figure out what I would do the whole day then I thought of the movie that I heard in the podcast interviewing Abhinandan Sekhri where he talks about working on the movie called "Monsoon Weddings". This seemed very interesting and it was also available for free on YouTube! 

So I got onto watching it in the morning, after I made myself a huge cup of tea. There are some things that pop out about the movie even 10 minutes in. One, there is a weird design heuristic to the opening credits which gives me kochi bienalle vibes. Its very artsy but very catchy too, not something you usually see in your commercial flicks. 

Second, The cinematography is very different from commercial films that I am used to. This helped play into the story line as it adds into it and the moving, rotating, zoom in and out adds to the dynamics of the scene. Apparently the cinematographer Declan quin is a famous guy and is famous for his 'moving camera?'. 

Third, the story line reeks elitist story telling. Not that it is bad, but I have grown a distaste to movies which I can't relate to. I usually thought that these stories are 'finer tastes' but that's just elitist talk which I have come to reflect more. The amount of English that was used was very off-putting, this doesn't reflect the idea of India that I had, maybe I am limited?

Fourth, The color composition of the frames reminded me of films that I was fond of, especially 'Dil chahta hai' which made me pretty comfy into the movie. 

The movie keeps you engrossed for the entire duration and there is no spot where it bores you. That was very refreshing for me, since there are usually some spots which feel like fillers in regular movies but here I actually had to pay attention! Except for when something was cringe, then I did fast-forwarded :|

The plot seemed very cohesive. There is a central theme of 'weddings' and it has branches into 'Family relations','Financial costs',' Skeleton in the closets' and 'Celebration'. These themes are very well blended together and gives out a super enjoyable watch.I would be recommending this movie to a whole lot of people, at least to the ones that appreciate a good movie. 

The rest of the day went quite uneventfully where I spent some time reading 'Ministry of happiness' and reading about communal riots. Not the stable kinda afternoons but was interesting. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ask for help, not for time.

An alpine hike up Mt.Baldy